Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Process

So after my last blog a got a few requests to make some bags; which makes me quite excited. Although I will be busy busy busy! Before, I began on the ones people asked me to make for them, I wanted to get started and finish a Small Tote for an 8 year old girl I babysat for. So, yesterday and all of last night I worked on this tote. Depending on how much time I have in the day and if i am doing are more a less complicated bag. It usually takes me anywhere from a day to a week to finish a bag. Mind you I am also hand sewing all these bags. At least until, we fix the sewing machine.

I have been having trouble with the fabric unraveling and then having frayed edges on the inside of the bag. The bag is still useful, however not as pretty on the inside. So, yesterday I ended up solving this problem by folding in the frayed edges and sewing so they will never be seen again. I know this seems like a simple solution and a no brainer, but again; I am self taught... so I am really learning as I go. Also, a new thing I am trying is a double stitch. Just so It is sturdy enough for heavier items.



My work space for the day... As you can see I have the finished sewing the two sides of the bag.



Here I have finished sewing the sides and the bottom and now am working on the top.



I have made the bag handles and have started sewing them on to the bag.



The Finished Product!

This is probably(as far as construction goes) my favorite bag. Now, I am back to working on my Mom's birthday gift! Which is NOT a bag but something new, that I have never done before and requires a lot of time.. I would show you... but my mom reads this. Anyways, I am stoked to finish making it and I hope it turns out really well. Remember if you'd like a bag, feel free to contact me = )

No comments:

Post a Comment